I am one of many who always try to be resourceful with ingredients that I can find in my own cupboard and everything I will be using for this are always found in my kitchen. I don’t want to take my ass to the store especially on days that I feel lazy to do my groceries. :)))
Since I had left-over sweet potatoes and flour as my kitchen staple, I figured just to make gnocchi (Yes, very ambitious! Lol No, they’re actually easy to make).
Gnocchi are like soft italian dumplings usually made from flour, eggs, potatoes, breadcrumbs, or depends on whatever version you would like to create. It is also considered as pasta especially since it’s paired with different varities of sauce.
So this recipe for the gnocchi is simple and all you need is two ingredients, which is the potatoes and flour. I know eggs are usually used as binder for the dough but for the one I’m doing, I disregarded the eggs and just relied on the starchiness of the potatoes. Or you could just gradually add water if you think the dough is too crumbly. The sweet potatoes that I used has a similar color as regular potatoes since its’ a staple in the Philippines. I bet it will taste good if you use the sweet purple potatoes as well. This gnocchis are fun to make especially since I did it from scratch and you’ll definitely be proud of yourself after making this. You can pair this gnocchi with a simple butter sauce, tomato sauce, pesto, but what I did is a simple cream sauce with my kitchen essentials like bacon and shiitake mushroom( you can use whatever mushroom you have). I love shiitake mushrooms because it has this earthy and meaty flavor and it gives texture to this dish too! To make this sauce, you will need the following:
Ingredients: Bacon Cream Sauce
5 strips bacon, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup cream
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Saute bacon in a medium sauce pan and render fat. Add the onions then stir until aromatic. Make sure to set aside a small portion of bacon for later.
2. Add in the shiitake mushrooms and stir letting the bacon fat be absorbed by the mushrooms.
3. Pour in the evaporated milk, cream, parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper, add the butter and stir to give the sauce a gloss. Set aside.
3 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1. Prick each sweet potato a few times with a fork then microwave them until fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
2. Prepare a clean working surface. Slice each sweet potato in half and use a spoon to scoop out the insides, and discard the skins. Use a potato masher to mash the insides.
3. Spread out the mashed sweet potato in a thin layer on your working surface. Evenly distribute flour over the sweet potato layer.Use your hands and work on the mixture to form a dough. Do not knead any further after a dough ball is formed.
4. Divide the dough ball into 6 pieces. Take a piece and form a long log about 1/2 inch wide, rolling it along your working surface if it gets sticky. Cut the log into pieces about 1 inch long, which will be the individual gnocchi pieces. Optional, use a fork to press grooves into each gnocchi. Repeat with the other dough pieces.
5. Boil water in a large pot. Add gnocchi to the boiling water. Cook until the gnocchi floats to the surface and is cooked through. Transfer the gnocchi to a plate and serve with sauce. Top it with parmesan cheese and bacon. Serve and enjoy!